Fantastic Blueberry & Orange Syrup Cake
by the Australian Blueberry Growers' Association
For a real sweet treat try this blueberry & orange syrup cake. It's quick and easy to make and the orange syrup drizzled over the top of the cake creates a beautiful coating! Fresh blueberries are a must.
A delicious cake that has the all time favourite combination of blueberries and orange!
Serves: 12 | Preparation time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 1 hour
250g butter, softened and cubed Orange Syrup:
1 cup caster sugar juice of 2 oranges (½ cup)
4 eggs, lightly beaten ½ cup orange marmalade
1½ cups self raising flour ½ cup sugar
½ cup almond meal
125g punnet fresh blueberries
Finely grated rind of 2 oranges
1. Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
2. Beat the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add in the eggs one at a time until well incorporated.
3. Fold in the flour and almond meal until mixture is smooth. Add the blueberries and orange rind, mixing well.
4. Spoon batter into a lined 22cm springform pan. Bake for 1 hour until golden.
5. Syrup: Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5-6 minutes, until thickened.
6. Drizzle syrup over warm cake, and allow to cool slightly in the pan. Serve cake warm with a dollop of cream and extra blueberries.
You can find the Australian Blueberry Growers' Association at Stand number A15 at the Good Food & Wine Show - Adelaide Event & Exhibition Centre, Wayville.